- 2 cups (480ml) Dashi
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2-3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Benishoga (pickled red ginger), chopped
- 5-6 oz octopus, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- Takoyaki sauce or Okonomiyaki sauce
- Aonori (green dried seaweed)
- Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- In a large bowl, mix well Dashi, eggs, soy sauce, salt, and flour with a whisk.
- Heat a Takoyaki pan with oil to very hot, just until the oil begins to smoke. Use enough oil to coat the pan using a paper towel so that the batter won’t stick. Then pour batter to fill the holes of the pan.
- Drop octopus pieces in the batter in each hole, and sprinkle chopped green onions and ginger all over the pan.
- Cook at medium heat for 1-2 minutes and turn over using a Takoyaki turner (you can use a chopstick too). It can be a little tricky at first, so watch the video to see the technique. Cook another 3-4 minutes, turning constantly.
- Place the cooked Takoyaki on a plate and pour Takoyaki sauce and mayo over them (to taste). Finish the dish by sprinkling the Takoyaki with Aonori (green dried seaweed) and Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes).